Peer Help Groups: Change of Heart - What Parents Need to Do.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Change of Heart - What Parents Need to Do.

The other night, I was sitting on a high point overlooking the BYU campus when I was hit with a profound sense of gratitude for the way my life has turned out. I thought about all of the different roads I could have taken and then about my decision to come to BYU and the change that it's had on my life. I was also deeply grateful for an education that allows me to help more and in better ways as I learn. I'm grateful for a Church that would pour so much money into such an institution. Today, while reflecting on those feelings, I thought that maybe we as students oversimplify the school's purpose as that of providing us with an education. It seems like there are so many school resources devoted to helping faculty perform and publish research and other material, that there might be something else in addition to our own education that merits all of those tithing dollars. By publishing, we in essence share our knowledge and learning so that the rest of the world can grow and learn too. Education itself, not just of the students, but of the world or at least the academic community, might be another purpose of Brigham Young University. With ORCA grants, it seems like there is a strong push for students to become researchers also. I've had numerous religion professors and even heard of President Samuelson speaking on becoming disciple scholars. I think that the way we learn is what they're trying to infuse in us. Presenting what we call the "Culture of Inquiry," I learned that it is extremely important to the Church and the school that we become thinkers rather than accepters. A culture of inquiry does not replace action, because the Lord expects us to accept some things on faith first, but to want to know why and to know the purposes behind it and to want to know the effects of it is probably a good thing and will help us to understand it better. I hope that everyone using the programs questions why we ask the questions we do and why we ask them to do what we're asking them to do. By learning these principles, they might more fully understand how to implement them. And we are definitely not finished learning here at the site. Everyday I hear things from professors or others that make me think there is more we should be doing or better ways of doing it.

Just the other week it came to my attention that despite so many warnings, parents are still allowing their children access to computers in private. This can mean when the parents aren't home or in a separated room. Parents might well be horrified if they found out what their children were doing. I know you want to trust your kids. But with some things, it's not worth the risk. And these are good kids that we're dealing with on this site. I once had a Bishop say that good people get into bad things. Your children are good people. But even a good person falls when temptation is thrown at them with such consistency and accuracy as it's done on the internet. How do you know? Parents - Download the Blocker available in our Resources Section. This web blocker allows you to see every web page visited and the history can't be erased without the password. Feel like you're spying? Your kids are telling us that they wish you'd do something to remove the temptation. They can't seem to find the strength to tell you, they're afraid you'll be disgusted with them. But they're struggling and really need your help. Rare is the circumstance that would merit having a computer in a child's room. Even if he or she is the most trustworthy of all your children. And don't think that putting the computer in a public room does anything if there is a scheduled time often when the child is home alone. Dads in particular, talk to your sons about certain temptations that they will inevitably face. So many of these problems seem to stem from a boy's curiosity about things that are normal, but make him feel like he's different from everyone else. If you have any specific questions, email us at PeerHelpGroups@gmail.com. My name is Dan and I'd be happy to discuss specifics. Your sons have a lot of questions.


Post Your Own Comment:
Regarding the first half of your post, I have to admit that I've always had a problem with the fact that our tithing pays for BYU. I attended UVSC and was often treated poorly by BYU students, and it infuriated me that I had to pay for those stuck up ingrates.

But I'm glad that it's benefitting you. Not all of BYU students are stuck up or ungrateful, obviously, as manifested by your post, but I found a lot of them that were. In fact, I seriously considered writing to the First Presidency of the church and asking that my tithing not be used to fund BYU. But somehow I thought that God would see a higher purpose to my sacrifice, and that things would balance out in the end.
 
When I went to BYU it was clear to me that education was not the only purpose of the university. It was clear that we were also being trained as ambassadors of the church in whatever field of study we chose.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List