Peer Help Groups: Natural Endorphins

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Natural Endorphins

I was once told that just being outside can produce endorphins. The suggestion was that if someone feels tempted to do something that they are trying to abstain from, going outside can help because it not only removes them from the situation (thus allowing a proper perspective shift) but helps them to feel better just by being outside. I unknowingly put this to the test recently. After a workout at the gym, I thought that I would sit in the steam room to try and relax before going home. I had been stressed lately and thought that this would help me sleep. Someone else in the steam room put spearmint oil in the spout while I was in there. I thought to myself, "Surely this has to be one of the most relaxing environments. If I can't relax here, then I just can't relax." Yet, I couldn't seem to relax. I pictured myself trying to go to sleep and the thought was ridiculous because I was still wound up. I tried deep breathing techniques and to focus my thoughts on a single object, and I would say that I was more relaxed than say, if I were under some deadline to finish a project or taking an exam or something of that nature, but still not what I had expected. I didn't think about it and got out and started my drive home. I decided to go to one of my favorite spots overlooking Provo. It had been snowing lightly, so the ground was covered. I walked around and noticed how quiet it was. Snow seems to absorb sound because it always seems quieter after a snow fall. I walked around a bit and immediately felt a complete sense of not only relaxation, but peace. I love turning around and looking at the mountains, turning back around and seeing the city. Just being outside in that environment helped tremendously. Moral of the story: If you're wound up or your mind is going one way while your heart another while your actions another or if you just can't seem to focus clearly, go for a walk outside. If you can, get away from all of this and find a park or something somewhere that lets you refocus yourself. Just get outside and enjoy all that we have. I think that there are some endorphins that come just from separating oneself from his or her surroundings and getting a breath of fresh air.

Post Your Own Comment: Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List