Peer Help Groups: Actions and Beliefs

Monday, May 28, 2007

Actions and Beliefs

Actions change beliefs faster than beliefs change actions. I have blogged about this before but I was reminded of it again. I sat down to read the scriptures today because I had set a goal to do so. I really did not want to, but I did it. Within a few moments, I wanted to. The desire came because I was doing it.



I have a friend that has gotten himself into some bad situations. I try and talk to him and reason with him, almost afraid to be overbearing because if I cross the line and he withdraws, I will have lost what little influence I have. I was again reminded, actions change beliefs faster than beliefs change actions. My friend knows how wrong the situations are. He knows he should not go into them. My telling him this is not giving him new information. Occasionally a reminder helps all of us, but this is an attempt to convince someone of what they already know. Last night I had someone go with me to try and reason with my friend in his bad situation. I tried talking, the person I brought simply removed all options and forced the person to get out of the situation. It worked. The point is not that we should take away agency, but that my friend actually experiencing walking away from a bad situation did more good than any hours of conversation we have had on the subject of doing just that. So maybe there is something to doing his will and then knowing the doctrine.





Powered by ScribeFire.


Post Your Own Comment: Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List