Peer Help Groups: Best foot forward?

Friday, July 13, 2007

Best foot forward?

Ever seen those packaged, pre-sliced apples at Costco? I think they're expensive, but I like them. I just thought it was interesting how this particular package described the apples' ability to remain cut without turning brown.

"Why Our Apples Maintain Their Great Taste and Natural Appearance"
[Brand name] apples are picked at the perfect time to capture all of their delicious taste and freshness. Finally our apples are bathed in a wholesome blend of vitamins and minerals to keep their delicious taste and natural color."

That's amazing! So, my apples turn brown when I cut them because I either picked them at the wrong time or didn't bathe them in vitamins and minerals. Now, there are rules in marketing about always putting your best foot forward. If you can find away to tell mostly the truth and still look good, then do it. The fact is, this bath of vitamins and minerals is really calcium ascorbate. Calcium ascorbate does contain Vitamin C (vitamins) and calcium (minerals), so technically, it is a bath of vitamins and minerals. Calcium ascorbate is produced by causing a reaction between the vitamin C and the calcium and removing the carbon dioxide (Wikipedia). Apparently there are no negative side effects, except for loss of firmness. The problem with always wanting to put your best foot forward is where to draw the line between embellished truth and lies. Technically, the apples are bathed in a blend of vitamins and minerals. Technically, the apples are soaked in a solution of Calcium Ascorbate. Both statements are true, one sounds a lot better. I'm not saying I agree with this particular use of this marketing law, but I do believe that this is a great example of this marketing law in use.

Powered by ScribeFire.


Post Your Own Comment: Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List