Peer Help Groups: Greatest Enemies

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Greatest Enemies

Liberals may not want to read, though I think they should. The greatest enemies within any organization come from within its own members. It is typically the disgruntled members that provide ammunition to those outside who are looking for things that are wrong. The same is true of our great nation. We have many disgruntled members more than willing to provide ammunition to those outside. Most countries call it treason. We call it free speech. And we will gladly send our young men and women to risk their lives to protect that right of the disgruntled members.

It would, however, be very unfortunate if the rest of the world based their view of America on the movies that make headlines.

Movies I don't understand why anyone would want to see:
No End in Sight
Sicko
Fahrenheit 911

When Fahrenheit 911 came out, I was in a very conservative place but surrounded by friends who thought that it was conservative because people weren't thinking for themselves and following their parents political views because, obviously, if anyone did think for themselves they wouldn't be conservative. They were usually surprised when I would tell them that I watched the majority of Fahrenheith 9/11 and laughed at the allegations. I would confront the logic, or lack thereof, used in most of the arguments and my friends would have nothing to say. Mainly because they had not thought about it either. That's how it typically goes. The ones that are claiming to be free-thinkers are the least likely to actually be thinking for themselves. I do try and see it from others' perspectives. I understand some of the problems people have with the Iraq war. I understand some of the problems people have with the Bush Administration. I don't agree with them, but I try and understand them. What I absolutely do not understand is someone's desire to become a bigger part of the problem rather than proactively think of solutions. I don't care what organization you're a part of, I don't understand complaining for the sake of complaining.

Powered by ScribeFire.


Post Your Own Comment: Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List