Peer Help Groups: Beating the Little Hater

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Beating the Little Hater

illdoctrine recently posted on how to beat the little hater inside of you that throws you into a cycle where you miss an obligation/goal and so you feel like you have to do something extra special to make up for it, which makes it harder to do which throws you into the trap of procrastination because it's harder to come up with something extra special and then you go a little bit longer, having unmet obligations and you feel like you have to do something twice as extra special, which you then procrastinate. It's a cycle.

Underlying this is also the fact that when you aren't doing something, your desire to do it deceases and when you are doing something, you're desire to do it increases. That's because of flow. If you're in a flow where you aren't doing the thing, you don't want to disrupt it, even unconsciously. If you're doing it, you feel it and you feel the benefits and it wasn't that hard getting started, so you want to keep going, also because there's something else that you don't want to do. I've experienced this in many things, like home teaching. I don't want to home teach until I home teach. I don't want to read my scriptures until I'm reading them. I don't want to write until I start writing. I haven't posted in a long time. So, part of me thinks that this should be an extra special post. Well, it isn't. It's just a normal post. And if you haven't done something in a long time, don't wait for the perfect moment or some extra special reason to do it. Just do it now.

Powered by ScribeFire.


Post Your Own Comment: Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List