Peer Help Groups: General Conference Thoughts

Sunday, October 02, 2005

General Conference Thoughts

We just finished a really good General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There were a few talks that made me think about some things we should consider doing at the site. There were four things in particular that I came up with.

First, after Elder Bednar's talk in the Priesthood Session, I thought that we aren't doing enough for the Preparing Missionaries of the Church. We can provide a lot more resources for them specifically and emphasize the training that the Church has already put into place for them. They can build a network amongst themselves and receive the peer support that they need. We already have the site FutureMissionaries.com, but this only acts as a front for the Teen Help Site.

Second, there are many times that parents come to our site looking for resources on how to help their children. Why don't we build a site for them, with their own resources and the ability to communicate amongst themselves and receive support and ideas from eachother. I don't believe that it would be very difficult.

Third, I think it might have been Elder Soares' talk, but in Sunday Afternoon session, one of the Seventy spoke on the importance of Covenants. I don't have it worked out in my mind yet, but we need something that helps to remind individuals or the covenants that they have already made and keeps them looking forward to the ones that they will still make. I don't know if we're talking about a new program or just another resource, but I'm leaning towards program if I could figure it out in my mind. Any thoughts are definitely welcome.

Fourth, Elder Paul Johnson of the Seventy spoke on the importance of General Conference and how that Ensign issue, or Conference Report, can be a modern day Liahona for us. I think we should use the Threaded Discussion Boards to have a weekly review of a conference talk. We'll post the link to it and spend the week studying that talk and posting what we've learned. We can still have one forum open for past problems and responses, and we can put more of those up, we just won't separate them into different forums. I think it's a good idea and even if we only get a few participating, it'll be worth it for them.

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. I set it up so that anyone can now post instead of just other Blogger users. We love working with you. Have a good one.


Post Your Own Comment:
I'm a mother ans have just read your posting about computers in a child's bedroom. We have numberous computers in our home (7) because we have numerous people using them. The computers are in all the bedrooms as well as the family room. there isn't room in the home to put all the computers in one open room. My husband checks the computers on a very regular basis and has not found anything in their history involving inappropiate activity. All of our children and their friends know he checks the computers and that he will talk to thier parents. We even have a filter on some of the computers. Is this enough? Thanks for your time.
 
I think that any parent taking active measures to monitor a their child's activity on the computer is definitely going in the right direction. I don't believe that having all of the computers in one room is the answer because if there's no monitoring, then that would be the same as having it in your bedroom. By the comment, I was mostly recognizing the fact that the majority of users in of the Peer Help Groups websites that struggle with any form of deviant behavior on the computer seem to have private access to a computer on a regular basis. It's just sad to see so many anguish over something that could so easily be prevented with more open communication and, I hate to say it, but less naivity in thinking that their child would never. These are good kids that are getting mixed up in bad things. Youth that are worried what their parents will think or do if they don't take the sacrament.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
BYU Blogs and Sites
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
My Amazon.com Wish List